John Z.L. Huang is a founding partner of MWE China Law Offices (MWE China) and serves as its managing partner. John focuses on creating practical comprehensive solutions for a diverse array of multinational corporate clients.
Providing legal counsel in China for over 20 years, he has handled numerous landmark cross-border transactions and disputes for both Fortune 500 companies and well-known Chinese enterprises.
As the Chinese regulatory environment has evolved, John has also acquired expertise in liaising with authorities at all levels of government. Whether related to tax, employment, foreign exchange, or antitrust issues, John has led multi-disciplinary international teams in proposing, negotiating, and achieving solutions for companies doing business within China.
In recognition of his experience in intellectual property (IP) law, John was recently appointed by the newly established Shanghai Intellectual Property Arbitration Court as one of its arbitrators.
John also has been nominated or has received several prestigious legal awards:
- From 2000 to 2006, John was named as one of Asia's Leading Business Lawyers in China.
- In 2004, John was nominated by Legal Business (publisher of the Asia Pacific Legal 500), as Lawyer of the Year - an honor given only to the most successful lawyer in Asia.
- In 2005, John was selected by Asian Legal Business (ALB) as one of the Hot 30 Lawyers in China. John was also nominated by ALB as the Local Law Firm Dealmaker of the Year.
- In 2006, John was declared Local Law Firm Dealmaker of the Year and also named one of the Hot 100 Lawyers for the Asia Pacific region by ALB.
- In 2007, John was cited as a Leading Lawyer by Asia Law and as one of the Hot 25 lawyers in China by ALB.
- In 2008, John was named by ALB as one of the Hot 25 Lawyers in China.
- In 2009, Chambers named John “a Leading, Pragmatic, and Experienced Lawyer in China.”
- In 2011, John was honoured with the State Council Subsidy award in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the development of China’s legal profession
- Successfully represented a leading global retailer in solving tax liabilities inherited from the previous owner of its newly acquired Chinese subsidiaries, involving over 100 stores in 29 cities throughout China, and designed tax practice compliance standards for the subsidiaries.
- Successfully represented a Fortune 500 company in dealing with investigations by various Chinese tax authorities of the client’s senior management, defending against allegations of criminal tax evasion.
- Successfully assisted a Fortune 500 company in meeting its goal of protecting its IP portfolio in China by providing a spectrum of services concerning proper strategy and the enforcement of rights.
- Assisted a leading international real estate developer in dealing with regulatory matters, liaising effectively with government authorities such as the State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE), the Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) and the State Administration of Industry and Commerce (SAIC).
- Successfully represented one of the world's largest food companies in a nationwide investigation by the State Administration of Taxation (SAT).
- Successfully represented a state-owned investment firm in relation to its joint venture with a leading global IT company specializing in value-added telecom services.
- Successfully represented a Fortune 500 automobile manufacturer in its unfair competition litigation - considered to be one of the most important IP litigation cases in China in the last decade.
- Successfully represented a leading US business school in its IP infringement lawsuit against a local distributor.
- Successfully represented a leading global IT company in the establishment of its wholly-owned foreign enterprise that became one of the first groups of semiconductor corporations with foreign investment approved by the Chinese Government.
- Successfully negotiated a joint venture between a leading US music and media group, a Shanghai local media group, and a culture fund, resulting in the first joint venture audio and video production company in China.
- Successfully represented one of the largest steel makers in China in its negotiations with one of the world’s largest technology groups in forming various major joint venture projects throughout China.
- Successfully represented a major European bank, leading global investment bank and a leading private equity fund, in a real estate project aimed at establishing a golf resort, which is regarded as one of the most complicated and high-profile projects in China to date.
- Successfully represented the Stock Exchange of Shanghai in negotiations with IBM, HP and Accenture in building the next generation trading system (NGTS) in China, one of the most sophisticated trading platforms in the world.
- Successfully represented the Shanghai Post and Telecommunications Bureau and The Shanghai Information Investment Company in their negotiations with leading global telecommunications company in establishing the first joint venture telecom after China joined the WTO.